A good friend is having a baby today! The quilt I made for her is still at the quilters (it's a scheduled c-section and I still couldn't get it done on time!)... so I decided to whip up some cute burp cloths to take to the hospital. They're so cute and easy.... I think you'll want to give one (or two...) a try!
1 - 4 1/2" square fabric for each diaper you plan to embellish
5/8 yd. ric rack to match
thread coordinating with rac rac
1. To begin, grab your diapers and fabric. I decided to upcycle some of the old cloth diapers I have in my stash - these my mom gave me, and they were mine from 30+ years ago. Eeek! I guess that means you can actually call them "vintage"....
There are so many cute fabrics you can pick to embellish these burp cloths.....whether you pick something trendy from your stash, a novelty print, charm pack or a children's panel. I had this panel in my stash and picked 3 squares out for the burp cloths.
2. Cut the fabric into a 4 1/2" square. I cut 3 squares, one for each burp cloth. See my little "water" theme?
3. Press the diapers to prepare them for the applique.
4. Following the manufacturer's instructions, use fusible web to secure the applique 4 1/2" squares to the diaper.
5. Stitch around the applique 1/8" from the edge to secure it to the fabric. I used a dark thread so you could see my stitching, but I would normally try to blend the thread color better.
6. Next, we'll add the ric rac. Prior to stitching in place, fold the edge of the ric rac under to prevent fraying.
7. Starting on one side of the square, stitch the ric rac in place. When you come to the corner, end the ric rac by tucking it under. Start a new piece of folded under ric rac on the next side. Continue in this manner around all 4 sides of the square.
And it's done! No need for anything more complicated!
After all, these are supposed to have spit up all over them, right? But what a cute, quick and easy baby gift!
Those are NOT strategically placed legos to add color to the shot. That is simply the reality of my living room these days!Pin It